Comparative distribution kinetics of cefazolin and tobramycin in children

Rie Koshida, Noboru Taniguchi, Emi Nakashima, Fujio Ichimura, Osamu Nakano, Akira Tsuji, Reiji Watanabe

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

12 Citations (Scopus)


The time courses of drug concentration in serum after i.v. drip infusion of 2 mg/kg of tobramycin and 25 mg/kg of cefazolin in children were analyzed by model-independent moment analysis. The volume of distribution at the steady state per body weight (Vdss/BW) of tobramycin was in the range of 212 to 335 ml/kg and that of cefazolin was 119 to 156 ml/kg. A plot of the differences of Vdss/BW obtained in the same child for tobramycin and cefazolin against the value of Vdss/BW of tobramycin gave a linear regression line (r = 0.971). The magnitude of Vdss/ (1) of tobramycin could be well interpreted as corresponding to the extracellular water volume. In the case of cefazolin, the extracellular water space accounts for about 60% of the total distribution volume. The remaining 40% of the total Vdss/ of cefazolin was considered to be accounted for by the disposing organs.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)436-442
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Pharmacobio-Dynamics
Issue number9
Publication statusPublished - 1987
Externally publishedYes


  • cefazoline
  • distribution volume
  • extracellular water volume
  • in travenous administration
  • pharmacokinetics
  • tobramycin

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pharmacology


Dive into the research topics of 'Comparative distribution kinetics of cefazolin and tobramycin in children'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this