Cytological evaluation of adenoviral follicular conjunctivitis by cytobrush

Tadao K. Kobayashi, Shiroh Sato, Kazuo Tsubota, Etsuko Takamura

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

14 Citations (Scopus)


Conjunctival brush samples from 38 patients with acute conjunctivitis were examined to determine whether cellular features could be utilized for cytodiagnosis. Of all cases, 32 (84%) patients showed a characteristic cell pattern for adenoviral follicular conjunctivitis (AFC) and in the remaining 6 (16%) patients herpetic infection was suggested cytologically. The background of the conjunctival smears from patients with AFC was characterized by the predominance of lymphocytes with little fibrinous discharge. In addition, two types of nuclear alterations were demonstrated i.e. intranuclear inclusions and a so-called ground-glass nuclear appearance. Ground-glass nuclei occurred more frequently than intranuclear inclusions in patients with AFC. However, the presence of lymphocytes in conjunctival smears was a useful criterion for making the differential diagnosis between herpetic and adenoviral infections. Thus, in the absence of these three cellular changes, i.e. ground-glass nuclei, intranuclear inclusions and lymphocytic background, infectious conditions other than AFC may be considered, regardless of the numbers of conjunctival cells present. Emphasis is placed on the value of conjunctival brush cytology for the rapid diagnosis of cases of suspected AFC.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)156-160
Number of pages5
Issue number3
Publication statusPublished - 1991
Externally publishedYes


  • Brush cytology
  • Epidemic keratoconjunctivitis
  • Sampling technique

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Ophthalmology
  • Sensory Systems


Dive into the research topics of 'Cytological evaluation of adenoviral follicular conjunctivitis by cytobrush'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this