Epidemiological survey of pneumococcus serotypes in pediatric patients with acute suppurative otitis media

Hitoshi Kamiya, Tatsuo Kato, Takehiro Togashi, Satoshi Iwata, Tomomichi Kurosaki, Shunkichi Baba, Sawako Masuda, Shigeki Sato, Osamu Yoshimura, Masato Fujii, Akiko Shimada, Katsunori Yagi, Hisakazu Yano, Rinya Sugita, Yutaka Fujimaki, Nobuyuki Komatsu, Toshiro Tango

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

11 Citations (Scopus)


To determine the distribution of Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes isolated from patients under 6 years of age with acute suppurative otitis media, to calculate the serotype coverage of 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine, and to clarify trends in PCG-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae, we conducted a one-year prospective study from April 2005 to March 2006 at 10 medical institutions in Hokkaido, Miyagi, Chiba, Tokyo, Kanagawa, and Mie, Japan. Specimens collected by tympanotomy or myringotomy numbered 856, and 691 strains were isolated from 599 specimens. Of these, 219 isolates (31.7%) were identified as Streptococcus pneumoniae and 201 met study requirements. The most common serotype was 19F (52 isolates, 25.9%), followed by 6B (30 isolates, 14.9%) and 23F (24 isolates, 11.9%). Seven-valent vaccine serotype coverage was 62.7%. The percentage of PSSP was 40.3%, PISP 42.8%, and PRSP 16.9%, resistant strains (PISP and PRSP) combined accounted for 59.7%. Seven-valent vaccine serotype coverage for PISP was 80.2% and PRSP 82.4%. PBP gene mutation was observed in 175 isolates (87.1%), including 70 of gPISP (34.8%) and 105 of gPRSP (52.2%). Gene mutation induced by macrolides was found in 176 isolates (87.6%).

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)59-66
Number of pages8
JournalKansenshōgaku zasshi. The Journal of the Japanese Association for Infectious Diseases
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - 2007 Jan
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)


Dive into the research topics of 'Epidemiological survey of pneumococcus serotypes in pediatric patients with acute suppurative otitis media'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this