To characterize the clinical course of myopathy associated with antibodies to signal recognition particle (SRP), or anti-SRP myopathy. Case series. Keio University Hospitals and National Institute of Neuroscience, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry, Tokyo, Japan. We reviewed clinical features of 27 patients with anti-SRP myopathy and analyzed disease progression and neurological outcome. Anti-SRP antibodies in serum were detected by RNA immunoprecipitation assay using extracts of K562 cells. Of the 27 patients, 5 (19%) showed chronic progressive muscle weakness as well as atrophy of limbs and trunk muscles from a younger age with more severe neurological outcomes compared with the other 22 patients(81%) with the subacute form. A subset of patients with anti-SRP myopathy can show a chronic progressive form associated with severe clinical deficits.
|Number of pages||5|
|Journal||Archives of neurology|
|Publication status||Published - 2012 Jun|
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Arts and Humanities (miscellaneous)
- Clinical Neurology