Radiotherapy for centrally recurrent cervical cancer of the vaginal stump following hysterectomy

Hisao Ito, Naoyuki Shigematsu, Tetsuya Kawada, Atsushi Kubo, Koichi Isobe, Ryusuke Hara, Shigeo Yasuda, Takashi Aruga, Hitoshi Ogata

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

54 Citations (Scopus)


Purpose: This study was performed to establish the classification and the treatment modality for recurrent cervical cancer of the vaginal stump after hysterectomy. Patients and methods: Ninety patients with centrally recurrent cervical cancer of the vaginal stump following hysterectomy were treated with high-dose-rate intracavitary brachytherapy with or without external irradiation. The intervals between primary surgery and vaginal recurrences varied from 3 months to 36 years. Tumor size of the vaginal stump was determined by bimanual rectovaginal examination at the time of recurrence and was classified into three groups, i.e., small (no palpable tumor), medium (less than 3 cm), and large (3 cm or more). Results: The 10- year survival rates for all patients were 52%. Survival was greatly influenced by the tumor sizes of the vaginal stump. The 10-year survival rates of patients with small, medium, and large size tumors were 72, 48, and 0%, respectively. All patients with large size tumors died within 5 years. Of 90 patients, 75 (83%) were determined by physical examination to be free of tumor on at least one visit within 2 months of the completion of treatment (CR). The remaining 15 patients (17%) had physical findings suggestive of residual tumor (Residual). The overall 10-year survival rate for all patients with CR was 63%, compared with 10% for the patients with Residual (P < 0.0001). The incidences of distant metastases of the patients with or without local failure were 55 and 13%, respectively (P < 0.0001). The patients with local failure had significantly higher incidence of metastases. Most patients with small size tumor were treated with brachytherapy alone, and the survival rates of these patients were not improved by combination with external irradiation. Conclusion: These results suggest that tumor size was a significant prognostic factor for recurrent cervical cancer of the vaginal stump. Patients with small size tumors were recommended to be treated with brachytherapy alone.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)154-161
Number of pages8
JournalGynecologic Oncology
Issue number2
Publication statusPublished - 1997 Nov
Externally publishedYes


  • Cervical cancer
  • Radiotherapy
  • Stump recurrence
  • Tumor size

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Obstetrics and Gynaecology


Dive into the research topics of 'Radiotherapy for centrally recurrent cervical cancer of the vaginal stump following hysterectomy'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this