Zinostatin stimalamer (SMANCS) is a lipophilic intra-arterial chemotherapeutic agent for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). Thirty HCC patients underwent transcatheter arterial injection of 4 mg SMANCS-lipiodol emulsion. Their responses were evaluated by computed tomography 1 month after treatment. Complete response (CR) was defined as disappearance or 100% necrosis of all tumors. Partial response (PR) was defined as @? 50% reduction and/or @? 50% necrosis. We regarded the lipiodol accumulation in tumors as being necrotic. CR and PR were observed in 8 patients (27%) and 4 patients (13%), respectively, and the overall response rate (CR + PR/all patients) was 40% (12/30). Of 12 patients whose serum α-fetoprotein levels had been more than 200 ng/ml before treatment, 5 patients (42%) showed more than 50% reduction in this level within 1 month after treatment. Toxicity was quite acceptable, although grade 4 toxicity (WHO) was observed as liver dysfunction in 1 patient. Transarterial chemotherapy with SMANCS, which is well tolerated, appears to have moderate antitumor effect in patients with HCC.
ASJC Scopus subject areas